[OM] Re: Champion Dust Shaker

Subject: [OM] Re: Champion Dust Shaker
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:36:05 -0400
You obviously haven't closely read the paper at the link I sent.  If you
read the first two pages closely you'll see that he's not a firm
believer in static charges having much to do with dust on sensors nor in
  Visible Dust's claims that their cleaning methods with brushes are
enhanced by blowing air through the bristles to *build* a static charge,
not eliminate one.

He is a firm believer in molecular adhesion being the principal glue
holding dust bits to sensors as well as molecular adhesion (to the
brush) being the force that will remove the dust bits.  He also uses
physical force to remove the dust from the brush after it has picked it
off the sensor... he raps the ends of the bristles across the back of a
clean table knife.

Also, see the bottom of page 2 for some interesting practical
considerations of his views on dust adhesion.  I've tried it and it
works for me... faster, better and easier than cleaning with methanol
and PecPads and much less in the way of concerns about the sensor.

Chuck Norcutt