[OM] Re: - Panasonic / Leica 14-150 lens for 4/3

Subject: [OM] Re: - Panasonic / Leica 14-150 lens for 4/3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:36:47 -0700
Sandy Harris wrote:
> On 3/22/07, I wrote:
>> I read one web claim that Nikon and Cosina are the only companies
>> in Japan that actually make their own lenses. Sounds  improbable
>> to me, but who knows?
>>
> Actually, I think I misread it. It is on StepeN Gandy's site:
> http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_250.htm
>
> " Keep in mind the only two camera makers in Japan that
> " produce their own glass are Cosina and Nikon.
>
> In some contexts "glass" might mean "lenses", but on
> re-reading, it is clear that that is not the case here. He
> is saying only those two produce the actual material,
> the glass itself
>
> If you take it more literally, then it is a far more believable
> claim.

I've seen the same videos James mentions. It's pretty clear that Canon
produces their own glass for their lenses. I don't recall if the video
said where the factory is. If it's not in Japan, Gandy's quote could be
correct if it read. ".... the only two Japanese camera makers who
produce their glass in Japan are..."

Moose