[OM] Re: Tilt lenses was Re: Macro flash bracket project

Subject: [OM] Re: Tilt lenses was Re: Macro flash bracket project
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 02:28:08 -0700
> From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Tilt lenses was Re: Macro flash bracket project
>
> Mike's mention of the Zoerk tilt adapter for increased Macro DoF
> got me
> thinking.  The Zoerk adapters are very appealing examples of
> engineering
> ingenuity, but they come at a price.

I looked at one once. And then bought a 24 shift for about the same
money!

> BUT it dawned on me that the tilt facility allows to regain one of the
> trade-offs of the half-size 4/3 sensor, which gives more DoF than is
> typically the case on an OM body.  But just as tilts allow gretare
> Dof for
> macro work, so careful use of the tilt allows me to very significantly
> *reduce* the DoF, ideal for protraits, for which the 35mm FL on a
> 4/3 body
> is also ideal.  Result!

Nice shots! You put it to good use. It really has a distinctive look.

> The Hartblei lenses are also available from Misha Fourman at
> KievCamera in
> Atlanta (although Hartblei themsleves appear to have moved on to Ze!ss
> lenses for their chassis).

Do you have a ballpark cost?

Anyone using a Lens Baby? I just ordered one in 4/3rds, for exactly
the reason Piers mentions. It's one of those things that can make
your shots look "different" enough to interest people. Also, I want
to shoot jewelry in a perspective other than flat-on, without
stopping down to sharpness-robbing pinhole apertures.

I've also had plans in the back of my head for years to mutilate a
bellows so it will do view camera movements. The only Zuiko that
would be up to that (IMHO) would be the 135/4.5.

:::: To redirect technology so that it serves man instead of
destroying him requires primarily an effort of the imagination and an
abandonment of fear. -- EF Schumaker ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org::::