[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:39:44 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
> You didn't say if it was an AppleTalk network or not. My guess is
> we're talking about a Windows print server here. If so, you haven't
> convinced me whose "blame" it is, if you want to call it that.

  Windows PC sharing a printer -- and my problem isn't that the Mac
can't connect to the printer, because it can. My problem is that the GUI
layer doesn't set up the config files properly. Apple's UI looks lovely
and easy to use, and when it works, it's great. When it doesn't work,
there's no good way to find out what's wrong, and when the problem is in
the interactions between the easy-to-use-but-broken UI layer, and the
functional-but-requiring-manual-text-file-editing lower layer, it's a
real pain fixing up the misinteractions.

  -- dan