[OM] Re: E-1s spotted

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1s spotted
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
> Sounds like fun, AG.

It has its moments.  I've been testing and benchmarking WiFi
technology from the major high-end vendors.  It's amazing what some
companies try to pass off as "good".  Yuck.

One of my favorites from a not-to-be-named manufacturer to the
portable communications world was so poorly designed that it was
laughable.  For example:  Who in their right mind would put a status
light on a pole-mounted box?

Oops, sorry.  Make that a status light pointing straight up?  Yup.
The light is mounted 20 feet over the road and the only status light
on it is pointing to the stars.  Hmmmm...

It gets worse...

The status light is an LED and in a recessed mount.  Can you say
"freezing water"?  Yup.  Water expands as it freezes, cracking the
fixture.

And even worse...

The case is designed to also hang from below a line-span (wires going
pole to pole).  Yeah, ok.  What about the high-gain omni antennas?
Pointing sideways.  No problem, just put elbows on the antenna
mounts, right?  Wrong.  The entire unit with these high-gain omnis
are now swinging in the wind.

And, you're going to love this...

They have two models.  Both are absolutely identical from the
outside.  However, they function entirely differently.  The labels
peel off and fade in UV light.  Uh, which box is this one now?  No
labels, entirely incompatible.

Yes, folks, it isn't just camera manufacturers that I rip for lousy
design and ergonomics.

AG