[OM] Re: OT Hoi Polloi, was More Salt in the Wound

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Hoi Polloi, was More Salt in the Wound
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:10:46 -0500
On 3/23/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There's an Oxford in the US? Where? Somewhere in Kansas?
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Probably.  But I got one 10 miles away from me here in northeastern
New France (Iowa).  Ohio and Mississippi too.  The one in Mississippi
was William Faulkner's hometown and archetype for the county seat of
Yoknapatawpha county in his inter-related novels.

I grew up near a town called "Cambridge," just so you know we do not
play favorites (though it was probably named for the one in
Massachusetts).    My favorite towns in the vicinity here are those
named for Greek wise men:  "Solon" is a thriving place.  "Plato" is
not doing as well.  I don't take that as a sign of their historical
significance.  One of my favorite roads for photography leads to a
notch in the road called "Oasis."

Joel W.