[OM] Re: Cleaning Plexi-glass

Subject: [OM] Re: Cleaning Plexi-glass
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 06:36:17 -0400
I have no idea how plexi-glass will react to the acidity of vinegar but
I believe vinegar is the solution for hard water calcium deposits.

Just yesterday I was reading a home handyman column in the local paper
and a reader asked what to do about a shower head that had become
clogged with calcium deposits from the hard water.  The answer was that
soaking the shower head overnight in vinegar would dissolve them.  What
followed next was a bit of thinking outside the box.  I was expecting
instructions to remove the shower head and place it in a bowl of
vinegar.  Instead, the instruction were to use a suitable size plastic
bag filled with sufficient vinegar to immerse the head and then slip it
over the shower head while still in place on the feed pipe and tape or
wire it in place overnight.

But I think I'd do a little research on the compatibility of plexi-glass
and vinegar before proceeding down this path.

Caution:  I just followed my own advice here and did a brief search
which stated that acrylic plastics are attacked by some organinc acids
and specifically mentioned acetic acid.  A further check points out that
vinegar is approx. 5% acetic acid.

Chuck Norcutt