[OM] Re: An 11Mp E-1?

Subject: [OM] Re: An 11Mp E-1?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:47:08 -0400
Amen! I stuck with PWP a long time because the workflow was so much
simpler than with Photoshop. And that includes printing pictures of
different sizes. In PWP, I would work the native E-1 or Scanner file,
and not worry about what size it was. Then I would let PWP's Layout
feature size the pic properly for printing. I have since tested PWP
against Photoshop CS2 uprezzing, and Genuine Fractals (latest
release), and up to 10x15 I can't tell a bit of difference between
the three. Heading toward a true 16x20, Genuine Fractals starts to
pull out in front, but not by much, and only when eyeing the prints a
the length of a nose.

CS2 and the folks at Adobe would do well to look at PWP's Layout
feature. By comparison, CS2's Picture Package is a real joke. The
closest thing to PWP's Layout I've seen is Qimage, which Moose was
talking about the other day. I downloaded the trial version and have
been playing with it in Windows, and it's a sweet program if you need
multiple prints. I can do a 13x19 sheet of 9 various 3.5x5s in the
blink of an eye, though control is a little squirreller than with PWP.

The problem is that Qimage is a Windows program, and I'm working on a
Mac. So I tried Crossover, which is supposed to allow Macs to run
Windows programs without the need for programs such as Boot Camp and
Parallels, but I just couldn't get it to work right. Lack of patience
was key, I'm sure. Then I tried downloading Parallels, and I've got
such a mish-mash of Windows XP disks that the authentication process
won't let XP install under Parallels, and I ain't about to shell out
$200 either for XP or VISTA.

So for some images, I'm going to keep the Mac and the PC networked,
and just move the images across to the PC for multiple prints under
PWP or Qimage. A pain in the butt for sure, but then we must suffer
for our art, right? <g>

--Bob
www.bobwhitmire.com