[OM] [OT] climate issues [was: some other OT things]

Subject: [OM] [OT] climate issues [was: some other OT things]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:08:01 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
> And Bush wants us to fill up our SUVs with food
> instead, causing tortillas to double in price in Mexico, causing
> riots. This at a time when grain production and reserves have been
> declining for six years!

  Check out "Plan B 2.0" (Lester Brown; print edition or downloadable
from earth-policy.org if you can stand reading from a screen) for a very
lengthy excursion into how biodiesel affects food prices, but also a lot
of discussion about water issues, birth rate issues, etc -- everything
is much more inter-related than I thought.

http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2007/Update65.htm has something
about exactly the fuel-driven rise in grain prices, now I poke around there.

> He mumbled something about hybrid cars and hydrogen and quickly asked
> for the next question. He doesn't seem to have a clue about fossil
> fuel depletion.

  "Heat: How to stop the planet from Burning", George Monbiot, has a lot
of suggestions on dealing with carbon in general -- not so much from a
run-out-of-fuel standpoint, because given enough money that's not going
to happen for a while, but just how to use less carbon. It's fairly
UK-centric, a lot of his transport plans just don't make sense for (say)
Canada, but it's interesting that he thinks we _can_ reduce carbon use
by 90% in a lot of areas given current (or, at least, non-sci-fi)
technology and political willpower.

  -- dan