[OM] Re: ( OM) Clint

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) Clint
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:53:38 -0400
Hence my previously expressed concern regarding the long-term
serviceability of 'vintage' cameras.  Between trained, qualified techs
leaving the business and parts supplies dwindling . . .

That's a fine argument for owning spares!    :D

Of course, from the perspective of the techs there has to be a concern
about the number of people still using the gear they can repair.  I've
done business with my local service guy for over thirty years.  Like
Clint, he moved from a storefront into his home.  He used to be
authorized for all the major manufacturers.  Now, he, like most
independents, simply cannot justify the cost of the proprietary test
equipment required for digicams.  That drives the business right back
to where the manufacturers want it; their *own* service departments.

And oh, by coincidence bodies and lenses often need to be calibrated
to each other in order to auto-focus accurately.  For out of warranty
calibration C@non's charges *start* at ~$150.  Why relatively new
equipment is so often out of calibration is a very intriguing
question.  That pesky QA stuff just adds cost to the process anyway!

ScottGee1