[OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:20:14 -0600
Moose wrote:
> And some of the better systems/lenses allow
> MF after getting close with AF without any switches, etc.

  One thing I don't quite understand is why the E-bodies have this in
continuous focus as well as single AF mode. I can see letting it focus
roughly, then tweaking by hand, when it's focus-and-stay-there -- but I
don't understand how it's meant to be useful in CF mode, where the focus
may well be shifting all the time anyway.

  What happens is: half-press, lens focuses and keeps on focussing as I
point the lens at different things, and when I decide that's "close
enough", I can tweak the final result with the manual focussing ring,
but I can't think of a situation where I'd ever want to do this.

  CF is for moving subjects, as far as I can tell, and if the subject is
moving, I don't want to be arguing with the camera about where focus
should be, if I want to use manual focus in that situation I'd just use
manual focus and be done with it.

  (that said, with the Zuiko AF lenses, focus-by-wire on a moving
subject is no fun; I miss the direct relationship of MF lenses for that)

  -- dan