[OM] Re: OT Run, Fred, run!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Run, Fred, run!
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:24:06 -0700
> From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> We simply tolerate a more or less
> unlimited amount of non-public money to define the issues and shape
> what gets said about them...
> So long as we tolerate privately funded political campaigns, the
> principle methodology for winning elections will be to fool as many
> people for as long as possible.

A major flaw in the US system (IMHO) is that the right to spend money
has been equated by the Supreme Court with "free speech." This means
you'll never get the influence of money out of the system unless you
amend the Constitution.

End result: the US has the best government money can buy!

I always thought that the skill set for running for office was almost
completely non-intersecting with the skill set for being in office.
Perhaps people who are good at running things should hire actors to
run for office... oh wait, that's been tried a couple times in
California... :-)

:::: They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin
Franklin
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/01FAB33>