[OM] Re: [OT] Memory addressing limits for XP

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Memory addressing limits for XP
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:16:03 +0930
On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:10:47AM -0700, jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is
> less than that installed.
> Certain components within the computer require address space in the 4-GB
> range. Any address space
> reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory."

Often with things like integrated graphics on the motherboard, the
peripheral takes a 'byte' <g>  out of the system memory...

My junker windows machine has an integrated SiS graphics  which eats 64M
of system ram. leaving me with about 700M of RAM... unless of course I
leave it on for a few days, in which case it all 'leaks' away...

davidt