[OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:31:29 -0500
On 3/27/07, Johann Thorsson <johann@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> True, and I am very biased of course.  I have almost no experience with any
> other brands than Olympus.  I tried Canon a long time a go but did not like
> how it fitted in my hand.  I did not take it out for any serious
> photography.  I have also tried Nikon and liked them.  Actually I would have
> bought D200 if I could have used the old OM lenses on it.
>
> But I am happy with my E-1, after all it is a true full frame camera - you
> better use the whole frame because you can't afford to throw too many pixels
> away!

I came to the E-1 relatively late (about 2 years ago) and then to the
50-200 a year after that.  Firmware updates improved the E-1 focusing
significantly.  I have noticed that all my lenses on the E-330 are
noticeably quicker to focus than the E-1.  I have experienced some
hunting on the E-1, but never an issue when working the 50-200 on the
E-330 in "anger."

I might suggest trying your lens on a newer body if you get an
opportunity.  It should improve and if it doesn't, I would say then
that the fault is clearly in the lens.

I suspect that the introduction of a newer version of the 50-200 is in
preparation for a more advanced AF system array in the next pro model
rather than as some kind of indication that the first generation
50-200 was poorly made.  I do now prefer using the DZ 50-200 for
sports action (as opposed to my MF Tamron SP 80-200), but this is not
the forte of the E-1 and DZ 50-200.  I think that Olympus is aiming to
break into Caanan's domain with its next generation pro body and long
zoom.

Joel W.
New France