[OM] Re: What size CF cards are folks using in their e-1

Subject: [OM] Re: What size CF cards are folks using in their e-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:10:56 -0400
I've settled on 2GB SanDisk Ultra II for use on the 5D.  That's good for
about 160 raw images or 1/4 to 1/2 of the number of images taken at a
rather long event.  CF cards are remarkably reliable but one *will* fail
some day and 1/2 of the eggs is all I'm willing to risk in a single
basket.  Changing cards every couple of hours is hardly a burden.
However, you do need to remain aware if you're about to run out if
you're entering a time critical period where it would awkward to change
cards.  Then you need to change ahead of time even though the card may
not be completely full.

Later model cards beyond the Ultra II do perform better in the 5D but
the camera is the limiting factor and the speed difference is miniscule.
That leaves the price difference not justified for me.

I've been surprised to see that E-330 raw files are larger than 5D raw
files so it appears that Oly's lossless compression methods are not very
effective.  Or maybe Canyon's compression of raw files is not truly
lossless.

Chuck Norcutt