[OM] Re: What size CF cards are folks using in their e-1

Subject: [OM] Re: What size CF cards are folks using in their e-1
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
Dr Flash wrote:
> CF cards are remarkably reliable but one *will* fail
> some day and 1/2 of the eggs is all I'm willing to risk in a single
> basket.  Changing cards every couple of hours is hardly a burden.
> However, you do need to remain aware if you're about to run out if
> you're entering a time critical period where it would awkward to
> change cards.  Then you need to change ahead of time even though
> the card may not be completely full.

You bring up a couple of good points.  First of all, they WILL fail.
What I find interesting is that we suppose that the Microdrives are
unreliable and and so on, but you never hear about them actually
failing in real life.  But there are a zillion reports of CF memory
cards failing.  Secondly, keeping an eye on the available frames is
interesting--it reminds me of the film days.  Always change rolls
before a big sequence of events--regardless of how many are used on
the current roll.  With digital, I get rather lazy and forget to keep
an eye on the frames left and before I know it, I'm choked.

Right now, I've got one 4GB Microdrive, two 1GB CF cards and a 1/2GB
CF card.

My rule is ALWAYS shoot the most important things with two different
cameras on independant storage systems (card-card, card-film,
film-film). That way if I experience a failure, I have a backup on
something totally different.

AG

Need Mail bonding?