[OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:51:03 +1000
Being addicted to wide I've got my Canon 17-40mm (on a full frame
5D), the Tamron 17mm to use wherever I want, the Voigtlander 15mm and
12mm and a Sigma 8mm as well. Even a couple of old Spiratone 12mm
fisheyes. They are just fun but tough to use.
Tight interiors, yes, but not with people! The 12mm is the one that
demonstrates the problem best - any person in the shot had better be
in the mid frame or their head is distorted into an ugly shape. The
landscapes though, especially urban ones where you can get a bit
abstract or use the distortion - that's great.
No one mentioned vignetting I think - it can be a problem - I like to
think of the edges of the frame as being stretched out to form a
rectilinear image and so there's distortion and the light gets
'thinner'.
There are some programs which will correct for distortion as i
remember - they were discussed on Luminous Landscape - but they have
algorithms for each lens so there may not be a 'repair' available for
heritage lenses. They seem to do a great job on straightening
something like a Canon 16mm fisheye from what I've seen.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx