[OM] Re: Manual lenses to digital body - MF 1 Adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual lenses to digital body - MF 1 Adapter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:45:05 -0700
John Morton wrote:
> Thanks, John;
>
>   I am looking at the MF-1 specs, and it see a few of the lenses I would like
> to use with a digital camera listed. It also says that it can be used with
> the E-500, but says nothing of the E-510... So: does anyone know if the use
> of this adapter with OM system lenses is limited to (at best) that 8
> megapixel camera or, does this adapter also work with the 10 megapixel body?

As Dan says, the adapter is just a spacer with female OM mount on the
front and male 4/3 mount on the back. There are similar adapters for
many other MF mounts.

The history is that Oly at first said OM lenses wouldn't work at all on
the E-1, causing a great outcry among Oly loyalists. Eventually, they
gave in, whether because of the outcry or simply that they discovered
the hoped for sales of add on DZ lenses was less than planned, and
started offering a free adapter by mail with each E-1 sold. After that
ran out, they brought out a different named adapter, the MF-1.

The only reason bodies later than the E-500 aren't mentioned is that
nobody has ventured in to change the data. The adapters will work with
any 4/3 body so far, including Panny and Leica.

I think Dan is right that at least one reason for the reluctance, then
the list of compatible lenses was about the metering issues. It
certainly isn't necessary to pay for the MF-1, as the far more
inexpensive Chinese ones on the 'Bay work fine.

>   I am assuming that this adapter will connect a bellows to a digital body,
> although that particular option isn't mentioned...

It will indeed. However, you will certainly need an additional extension
tube. Most DSLRs have a forward protrusion from the prism housing (not
E-300, 330) and the E-410/510 body is no exception.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse410/page3.asp

This protrusion interferes with the tab on the auto bellows that doubles
as lens release and mounting tab. So you need a tube between bellows and
body. A 7mm works for my 5D. It's hard to say, but it looks from the
pictures that a longer one may be necessary with the 510. There are
aftermarket 11mm tubes available inexpensively that would work in that
case. The only possible drawback is that the minimum extension of the
combined bellows and tube is greater.

The auto part of the bellows is still useful. You may attach any normal
cable release to the fitting on the bellows meant for one part of the
double cable release and use it to stop down the lens for exposures.
Quite handy when working behind the camera, especially with a release
that locks.

Moose