[OM] Re: E-330 users?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 users?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 07:20:14 -0500
On 3/30/07, iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a question for E-330 users:

Iwert, I don't have anything that's too helpful beyond what Dan has
already posted. But I like to yack about this camera anyway.

> is the lack of exposure compensation and whitebalance preview in
> liveview a big drawback?

I never considered it a drawback because I wasn't looking for an aid
to exposure control and white balance settings in live view.  That
would really be "live preview" or "live playback."  I expected to use
live view to compose photographs and it has been pretty great for
that.

I have only noticed one setting in which I might have wished the LV
white balance was a match for the settings.  It was a sunset and I was
trying to evaluate whether a straight 5300 setting was superior to
auto WB.  I ended up shooting the scene multiple ways, which is also
how I would have done it with the E-1, so I can't see that as a
disadvantage really.

What I have always thought would be useful in LV is a small histogram
overlay.  I can do that with the C-8080 and it would be far more
useful in conjunction with AEL than any attempt to show exposure
compensation.  One can barely see sometimes significant differences in
exposure on an LCD in the field.  To my mind, it would be a waste of
resources to throw that kind of refinement into a tool that is
ordinarily too crude to make very good use of it.  Unfortunately, it
appears that Olympus is giving up Live View A, so I don't expect to
get the histogram overlay.  If I had that, I'd use Live View A a lot
more than I do right now.

> What is the overal experience? And what about dynamic range and "high
> iso" say 800?

I'm pretty sure this photo was made at ISO 800:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/March/slides/_3136225.html

The circumstances were waning light and I was hand-holding the DZ 50-200.

Even at 1600 captures have good edge sharpness, much better than the
E-1 IMO.  Very light noiseware settings make 1600 very usable.  I
think the photos in the dpreview review of the 330 are quite
representative, even if the review itself is Roger in one of his more
wayward moments.  However, I tolerate noise apparently much better
than most.  I still get results I like with -- gulp -- film!  I
printed my Spring Equinox photo yesterday and I thought it looked
quite good from a Kodak Gold 100 scan.  But when you compare the
images on the monitor, the E-330 capture at ISO 800 is far superior in
tems of noise/grain.  That's one of my problems with the preoccupation
with noise.  It's really more about web images than about digital
files which actually produce what I consider to be real photographs.
This is not to say I would not like a camera like the 5D, but it would
be for the FF capability rather than for Canaan's famous glassine
tones in web images.

> I have an E-1, but since the E-330 seems like e dead end at olympus
> and i like the flip out display, I am considering it, especially since
> I got a nice offer :).
>
> I'ld mainly use it for macro and candids, coupled with OM-lenses
> (autotube) and the 50 f2 and 11-22 ZD.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Iwert.

I don't have the 50/2, alas, but here's one with the DZ 11-22:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/March/slides/_3126157.html

Joel W.