[OM] new dog, old tricks

Subject: [OM] new dog, old tricks
From: "Peter Bell" <peter.bell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:41:56 -0400
Hi all,

Lately I've found myself using my OM gear less and my digital camera more.
The main reason is that it takes two weeks for Ritz to have slide or black
and white film developed. Cost is also an issue in so far as the other labs
I could go to for a quicker turnaround cost more. I'd rather not spend close
to 20 bucks on film and developing every time I want to shoot a roll, and I
want to use my OM gear more, not less.

As an alternative, I've been thinking about developing my black and white
film, and then scanning the negatives. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so
this appeals to me, along with fueling my nostalgia for the high school
darkroom. Home development also seems to make sense in terms of cost, as I'd
like to keep shooting with OM for a long time to come. Anybody out there go
this route? I'm confident I can handle the techincal aspects, but advice
about relatively inexpensive scanners that would get the job done, and/or
your own homebrewed methods and workflows would be really appreciated.

as ever,

Peter