[OM] Re: Macro Flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro Flash?
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:30:20 -0700
Darin,

The only TTL compatible ring light I am aware of was made by Sunpak (also
marketed to the medical crowd under the Lester Dine brand). It was available
in a couple of variations/versions: one with just a ring light like the T10
and another that combined the ring with a single T28 style head attached to
the edge (though non moving or tilting). The second type has a either or
both flash selector if I recall correctly. Also the control/power unit was
available in two versions one that accepts the Sunpak TTL modular foot and
one that is fixed for specific TTL systems. Take care when bidding to ask
regarding this last point as you may be able to buy across brand and
exchange the foot for an Olympus one. Of course only the OM flavour of TTL
is supported so it's manual settings only on an E System body (I know you
asked about use specifically on OM-2S).

Regarding the Dine versions of things, sadly the resellers and savvy
collectors have figured out to search for these brands now and bargains are
not as easily found. For example the Kiron 105mm macro that Moose is fond of
was also marketed under the Dine brand. At one point you could find Dine
branded example for under $50 on e*ay, not anymore! In fact under any brand
look to be paying a minimum for $150 and sometimes over $250 for this lens
now.

The Sunpak will not set you back as much as the Oly T10 but not by much as
much of a margin as it used to. I think you will probably need to budget
$100-125 to be sure of getting one.

I am not aware of any OM TTL compatible T28 twin style flashes.

Dan S.