[OM] Re: CF Card Shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: CF Card Shootout
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:15:53 -0600
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Boy, are we cynical or what?  The idea here isn't to automatically
> ridicule a scientific test, but to let it stand to peer revue.  I had
> never done a comparison test before because I assumed that all stored
> digital files should be the same--regardless of media.

  To be fair, as described, your original experiment is missing a
significant possible secondary factor -- how did you get the images onto
the computer? It's very possible that equivalent slowdowns are getting
in the way in that stage of the transfer as well -- if you were to use
an older USB 1.0 CF reader, that might give the data the extra room to
breathe it needs when being transferred, and you'd regain the missing
detail on that end of the chain.

  I suspect for purest possible results, you should connect the camera
directly to the PC (or Mac) -- I can't remember offhand if there's a
direct capture mechanism in Olympus Master which entirely bypasses the
cards, but if so, that would of course be the best approach.

  -- dan