[OM] Re: CCD's versus MOS sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: CCD's versus MOS sensors
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:05:11 -0700
John Morton wrote:
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> John Morton wrote:
>
>>   It is interesting to see that this unit will have a CMOS sensor;
>>
> Not really. It is some sort of NMOS sensor, different from any others to date
> except for the E-330 and Panny and Leica versions of that. A different sensor
> design which can scan continuously in real time is required for live view. So
> it acts that way in live view, then as an ordinary sensor when capturing an
> image.
>
>   I stand corrected, and shall in future refer to "Metal Oxide
> Semiconductors" versus "Charged Couple Devices"

Sorry if I came across as too pedantic. And I see I'm coming from a
different direction than you are. And in that sense, I mis-spoke. What I
really meant to do was to differentiate between the Panasonic made
sensors used in the E-330 and its re-badged versions, the likely similar
sensors in the E-410/510 and the 'other' xMOS sensors in the Nikon D2x
and various Canon DSLRs.

But my differentiation is based on the overall performance of the sensor
system, including processing electronics. There are lots of examples of
different cameras using the same sensor from the same manufacturer, but
with different results. I really don't care if the sensor is CCD, xMOS
or "oFEq", but what the images any given sensor system including it
produce.

And that is the real basis upon which I reacted to the lumping together
of the 410/510 with "CMOS" sensor cameras. The performance of the
Panasonic NMOS sensor with Oly, Panasonic and Leica systems is simply
not up to the CMOS sensor based sensor systems in C & N DSLRs. Only test
results will tell, but Panasonic's history with their other sensors and
squeezing 3 more mps into the relatively small sensor lead me to be
skeptical until the results are in.

I don't know if you have been following the higher end P&S market. There
are at present several cameras, including Olys, that are simply
marvelous in their lenses, features and capabilities - except, they have
noticeable noise and noise reduction artifacts even at their lowest iso
settings. All would be better cameras, as in capable of better images,
with lower mp sensors, but the market so far demands more mps, even at
the cost of image quality. Most distressing.

So I have my fingers crossed that Panny has made some kind of serious
improvement, both for the E-410/510 and the Panny TZ-3. Unfortunately,
the TZ-3 probably has the same sensor technology as the SP-550 and the
usual Venus III engine smear tactics as a way to cover noise and
obliterate subtle detail. I think Panny NR is an attempt at a tribute to
Monet.

Moose