[OM] Re: CCD's versus MOS sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: CCD's versus MOS sensors
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:20:43 -0400
On 4/2/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> SNIP!

I don't know if you have been following the higher end P&S market. There
are at present several cameras, including Olys, that are simply
marvelous in their lenses, features and capabilities - except, they have
noticeable noise and noise reduction artifacts even at their lowest iso
settings. All would be better cameras, as in capable of better images,
with lower mp sensors, but the market so far demands more mps, even at
the cost of image quality. Most distressing.

Amen.  I've been following the market closely as I'm looking for a 'carry
everywhere' digi P&S to replace my Oly C2020Z.  Well, I'll keep the 2020 and
dedicate it to infrared shots.  ;o)

Interestingly, no-one but Fuji seems to be able to find a balance between
noise and detail retention.  And in their 'F' series they have done away
with VFs, ignore IS and in the latest model (F40fd) ditch manual control
modes.

A couple of the C@non IS models look interesting but noise again becomes an
issue at ISO400 and above.  Well, it's an issue for me because I want to be
able to without flash in relatively low light situations.

Maybe I'm simply expecting too much of a small sensor.  But then again, if
Fuj! can do it . . .

DOH!

ScottGee1