[OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects

Subject: [OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:53:30 -0400
On 4/2/07, Phil <pcks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So how many recognisable dialects are there in the USA, I can only spot,
> deep Southern, New York and what I call normal American, in the UK I can
> pick out, Welsh, Scotish, Irish, Giordie, Brummie, Scouse, general north
> England (Yorkshire, Manchester) South West and Norfolk sound the same to
> me
> (carrot crunchers) and of course all the variations of cockney and the
> South
> East, I find all the accents quite fasinating and regularly practice them
> all to the amusement of the kids who are rewarded if they guess them all
> correctly (they never do)

When I worked for Epson, corporate hired a consultant to develop music
markets.  I met him at a CES convention and thought he sounded and looked
like Roger Daltrey.  Thinking myself rather clever I asked if he was from
Shepherd's Bush.  His previously friendly demeanor immediately changed and
he glared at me.  "Shep-erd's Boosh?  Nah!"  (He then said he was from but I
forget the name).  "Ass abou' free mile away!"  Treated me like vermin for
the remainder of the convention.  Well, excuuuuuse me!

FWIW/ScottGee1