[OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:55:22 +0200
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:38:16 -0700, you wrote:

>The DPS - 9000 Li Ion battery by Digi Power is 7.2 volts and was advertised
>to operate the 6.0 Volt C-Series Olympus Cameras, which I have ones them on
>for the last several years until upgrading to a E-500. Steve's Digi Cams I
>think is where the original test was that I saw.

The voltage of a 7.2 (nominal) LiIon battery varies from 8.4 volts
(after recharge) to 6.0 volts (empty). The 6 volt cameras can handle
this 'over'-voltage well, but the lights of a T28 or T10 will probably
blow out or have their lifes shortened when you apply this high
voltage to them.

>The DPS 8-000, if you can find one, is 6 V and has a long cord and a belt
>clip, doesn't attach to the tripod or camera. Great NiMi battery, just no
>where as convenient to use, doesn't last quite as long, though I got hours
>of use from both of these. I started with these in 2001 and upgraded in 2004
>I think it was.

NiMH batteries will be OK, when you use the 4 cell (4.8 volts) or 5
cell (6.0 volts) version. The latter will actually give 7.0 volts
immediately after recharge, so I would choose the 4 cell version when
available.
Lead-gel batteries are fine too: three cells give 6.0 volts. Quantum
makes nice batteries of this kind.

I have two 6.0 volt Quantum packs QB 1+ available, with US chargers,
completely new and boxed (but old stock). $ 75 each + shipping (rather
heavy!) - so if anyone is interested... off line please.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.