[OM] Re: Loving Video

Subject: [OM] Re: Loving Video
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:44:45 +1000
That's about it. The numbers of Norman French in England were not
particularly high but they were running the place. Their managers
(reeves) had to speak both languages and were influential. Anyone who
wanted to do business had to speak both and by the mid-1300's, Middle
English had developed into a common tongue. Of course, the
artistocracy still spoke French as well and had strong links with
many areas of France, especially landholdings in areas such as
Aquitaine in the south west.
There are some charming relics such as the dual names for meat and
animals. For instance, it's a cow or bull in the field but beef on
the table because the French called it boeuf and they got to got to
eat it while the Saxon names were used by those who cared for the
beasts. Ditto sheep and mutton, pig and pork. It's still a layered
language with a basic Saxon derived word for most things and
sophisticated latinate terms for finer shades of meaning and more
elegance.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx