[OM] Re: [Photo] blue heron 3

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] blue heron 3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:34:40 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> One day I noticed a woman observing the heron for quite some time but
> didn't speak to her and paid it little attention as I was in
> conversation with some other visitors.  A bit later on I happened to
> pass by her again and as I did so she stopped me, pointed to the heron
> and asked why we had "plastic birds" stuck in the water at a wildlife
> refuge.  But not nearly as bad a mistake as the visitor I apprehended
> who was climbing through the rail fence to go sit on "Molly" the 8 foot
> gator in the other pond.  He thought she was plastic too.  Just two of
> many stories from the refuge.

Great stories! I've never seen one still for that long, and not just
because I would have moved on. They move to catch things and eat them. I
guess the fishing must be better where I have watched them.

 I just realized that I mostly see them in tidal waters, where the level
is always changing, so they need to move at least every so often. Still,
at a lake, the one working the shallows was too busy catching things to
stand still for very long at a time. Would fly down, catch it's fill and
go hang out deep in a tree to rest and digest. One year, there were a
pair of ospreys working the deeper water.

Moose