[OM] Re: ( OM) OT question re XP

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) OT question re XP
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:44:39 -0600
John Hermanson wrote:
> Yes, manual checking of the updates is recommended.  One update that MS
> tries to force on people is "Genuine Advantage" or something named along
> those lines.  It scans your computer and decides if you have legal
> copies of their software.  Unfortunately it has been shown to sometimes
> label your legitimate purchases as pirated. Then they tell you where to
> buy them a second time.

  Another problem with automatic updates is that it'll push Internet
Explorer 7 if you're not careful, and (personally) I think IE7 is awful
to use -- it does tabs, sure, but there's enough annoying UI-related
slowdowns here and there that it really needs a next release to get all
the polish in.

  -- dan