[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:01:53 -0600
> Sorry if I misunderstood and assumed bashing. It is hard not to leap
> to that conclusion when you cite completely atypical OS behavior and
> conclude that the OS is badly designed in that it does not operate as
> advertised.

  That's what I find weird -- as far as I can see, I started off having
problems not doing anything particularly out of the ordinary, and when I
tried to work out what was really going on and fix it, I hit a bunch of
more complicated issues further in.

> As I said and others have said those are not normal problems. I think
> you have probably damaged stuff by assuming you knew enough about the
> operating system to play around with Terminal.

  The only things I've used command prompts for are deleting files
without trashcan, and killing processes. Like I said, it's not my Mac,
so I'm much more wary of breaking things than I might be. I knew my way
around a Unix OS some years ago, but I suspect nowadays if I tried to do
any sort of admin stuff beyond the basics, I most likely only have
enough knowledge left to be a danger to myself..

> About the trash, it was never designed to be a storage folder. If you
> use it as one then you cannot delete as you discovered. The solution
> is to make a storage folder for things you are undecided about and
> purge it from time to time.

  Yup, that seems to make sense.

  Overall, I think Macs can be great, and if you use them the way Apple
wants you to use them, I suspect they're a better experience than it is
using Windows the way Microsoft wants you to use it. The whole iLife
suite is nice, iTunes is great if you do things the way it expects and
want the music it has, and if I only had a .Mac account, I'm sure some
of the other dialogs that pop up from time to time would be more useful
to me.

  The problem seems to be when you try and break away from Apple's way
of doing things -- because it's not what Apple want you to do (be it
using non-Apple software/hardware, or just not using their own software
the way they want), it can be a pain to find out what's going on and
deal with it; thus far, there's always been a solution, but I don't have
the research skills to find the solution a lot of the time yet, whereas
for Windows I know where to look.

  I'm used to doing things whatever way I want to do them, and because
Windows makes it very easy to generally abuse the system, I find it
frustrating to not be able to do the same things on the Mac.

  Thanks again for all the help; I think everything I wanted to know is
now solved, and I promise next time I'll go ask somewhere else first..

-- dan