[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:17:12 -0700

> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>>
>>>  4. Is there any recommended way to improve stability when using USB
>>
>>> storage?
>>
>> It sounds like your USB storage device has FAT-rot. Re-
>> format it. Not  the Mac's fault that it has to deal with Windows file
>> system formats. Not even the Mac's fault if it deals with Windows
>> file system formats less gracefully than Windows does!
>
>  That's a good point -- thanks; I've seen other USB storage devices
> have issues until reformatted, certainly.
>
>  I'm still curious as to why the Mac's FAT32 handler is so fragile
> that
> it can require a total powerdown to get things working again

Microsoft grudgingly made the FAT specs public only after everyone had
already reverse-engineered it. They certainly HAVE NOT made public
their techniques for recovering when it is corrupted!

Apple is attempting to deal with someone else's proprietary stuff here.

That said, I have never had to "total powerdown" to talk to a
corrupted USB device. It *does* go through an extensive re-try
sequence that you have to be patient with. I'd suggest a cup of coffee
rather than a power-down, then as soon as the system is responsive, re-
format that puppy!

:::: Jan (running Leopard Beta, and don't have my signatures moved
over yet) ::::