[OM] Re: Macro Flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro Flash?
From: Marten Beels <mbeels@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Darin,

I also really wanted a macro type flash but didn't have any budget for
one.  I did, however, have (2) T-20s that soon became a poor-man's
macro twin flash.

I didn't have a true macro lens either, but found that reversing
lenses, stacking lenses nose to nose, and other methods worked quite
well.  Macro photography is very interesting to me for many reasons.
Although it can be quite technical and there is plenty of pricy
equipment available, great results can be obtained with "normal"
equipment used in different ways.

T-20 flashes can often be found cheaply, they're a good way to keep
full TTL capability with your OM-2s.  I started off with one good one,
and one that had a broken hot shoe.  I then found a cheap third party
hot shoe extension cable that had the right contacts for OM TTL.  I
believe it was the Duo-Sync flash extension cable for OM.  Perhaps this
one, but I think I only paid $5-10 for it used:

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=USE&O=productlist&sku=800455991>

Because of the broken hot shoe, I soldered the wires directly to the
proper internal electrical connections of the T-20 flash and epoxied on
a mount for a 1/4-20 screw.

I then went to a hardware store and bought some of those metal angles
and mending plates with 1/4" holes.  From that I built a simple bracket
to hold the flashes where I wanted them to be.

Here is a sample shot I took with that setup.  It could probably use
more DOF, but you get the idea with the lighting.  If I remember
correctly, this was taken on Konica slide film with my 50mm 1.8
reversed on the nose of my 135mm f/3.5.  Two Cokin 49mm rings expoxied
together made a great mating ring.  I experimented with stopping down
the 50mm lens or 135mm lens, and I think I got better results by
stopping down the 135mm.  Diffraction was definitely a problem.

http://marten.beels.info/Goshen/insects/weevil1.jpg

So if you could find two of those Duo-Sync cords used somewhere, you
could come up with a TTL macro setup.  I don't remember seeing any good
third party macro flash offerings, finding one with TTL may not be
easy.

Good luck!

Marten

On 4/1/07, Darin <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I'm going to let my inexperience show a bit here. I'd like to get a
macro flash, but don't seem to be able to afford any of the Olympus
T-series macro flashes. So, I'm looking for suggestions on third party
offerings, either a ring flash or something like the T28 twins would be

great, as long as it's TTL compatible with my OM-2S. My biggest
question,
since I've never owned an SLR that wasn't an OM and I'm not very flash
literate, is about hot shoe mounts. Will any TTL capable flash work
properly on an OM-2S hot shoe, or are different camera manufaturers hot

shoes designed differently, requiring one made specificly for an
Olympus
hot shoe. I hope that made sence.

> TIA,
> Darin