[OM] Off to the races

Subject: [OM] Off to the races
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
Figeratively and literally.

On an upcoming weekend this month I have a wedding AND an auto race
to go to.  This will be fun to coordinate.  According to the race
weekend schedule (Grand Am KONI Challenge Series), Friday is track
test day. Saturday morning is practice and qualifying and the races
will start at noon.  The ST race will be over by 2:30, the GS race
starts at 3:30.  But my wedding to photograph starts at 4:00 about
and hour drive away.

The problem is, I'm there as a media person with creds, but I'll also
be working to break the computer network access incognito. So, my "go
kit" will include cameras and a laptop.  Ugh.  Fortunately, I'll be
able to use my work computer which is a bit lighter and has all sorts
of WiFi tools.

But, really, my delemma centers around the overbooking of that
saturday and the hoofing it between venues.  I'm tempted to put
together two camera kits--one for the race and the other for the
wedding.  Obviously my E-1 would be dual-purpose, but I'm thinking of
making the race kit pretty conservative.  Frankly, I don't need to
photograph the Victory Lane stuff, and will be bopping in and out of
the media center to upload pictures to my website.

This will be my first In-field road-course race and I'd really like
some tips and pointers on shooting locations and tips.  For example,
is toting my monopod along a good thing?  I'll be using the E-1 with
battery grip, 14-54 zoom and have the 100/2.8 and 200/4 handy.
Should I borrow Joel's monstrous lenses?  As my backup camera, should
it be the little Minolta A1 (with 28-200mm equiv lens) or the IS-3
with 35-180 lens and a bunch of film?  If I can locate down by the
esses, is it best to be on the inside or outside of the turns (inside
would probably make me less nervous).  There is a portion of the
track which is high speed and uses a corner of the main oval and then
uses a straight stretch down in front of the pits.

According to the entry list, there are 66 teams entered, 40 GS and 26
ST.  Anything I should know about the general differences between the
two that would affect photography? I've been getting on the Grand-am
website to learn more but I figured there were a couple race photogs
here on the list that could give me a head start.

Also, one other thing.  Noise.  I'm not talking CCD noise, but
acoustic noise level.  According to the General Regulations that the
leage publishes, the sound level generated by individual cars may not
exceed 106 dBa measured from about 2-meters distance.  This isn't bad
for one, but when there are 40 cars on the track in a reflective
environment, is this where I should plan on having my earplugs in?
I'll be bringing them along anyway, but I kinda wondered if 106 dBa
is a bit optimistic?

More to come later...

AG

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail