[OM] [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] [ot] alternative fuels
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:08:09 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
> I drive on biodiesel I make myself (when not cycling or walking),

  Where do you get the raw materials for this? I've seen a number of
shows/articles about people who start with used cooking fat from
restaurants and then reprocess it -- this seems like a great idea, but
what happens when you pull up to the back of Eat-At-Joes and someone
else has already cleaned them out for their vehicle? Does it make
economic sense to start with (say) sunflower oil or something instead?

  (this is a genuine question, I'm not trying to pick holes in biodiesel
as a concept or anything -- presumably you can still run on regular
diesel, right?

  It seems like a great idea to reuse waste to power your vehicle, but
are there any figures as to how many vehicles can be powered from the
waste from a typical city's worth of restaurants? Okay, that's
meaninglessly vague, but you get the idea, I hope)

  -- dan