[OM] Re: Off to the races

Subject: [OM] Re: Off to the races
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:42:15 -0500
Walt Wayman wrote:
> Back when I almost never missed a race at Road Atlanta, and before
> they moved the fence back, I always shot at the esses. See the
> picture on the bottom right.
>

> Don't sweat the noise; it ain't that bad. If you like racing, it's
> music to the ear. But be prepared for the smell of high-octane fuel
> exhaust.

Even so, I'd still bring earplugs.  Depends on the cars.  Back in the
day when I was shooting at Road America (Bratwurst Hills, or the "Other
RA") during the IMSA events, the Mazda rotaries were LOUD and piercing.
  Painfully so.  Even to the point where the track announcer, in a
sealed booth, commented on it.

Wearing the earplugs doesn't kill the joy of the music, it just brings
it to more liveable levels.

And that smell.  Ahhhhhh..... racing fuel and/or methanol.  Smells
like..... speed.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon