[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 01:40:25 +0930
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 07:12:03PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Since you seem determined to use Terminal without knowing these basic
> things about UNIX, I'd suggest you check out "man kill" to see what
> the various parameters do.

...and "man signal" also!

-1 is a 'hangup' - reread the configuration & carry on.
-9 is a 'kill with extreme prejudice'

I think a kill with no params is a -15  which equates to a "terminate
gracefully, please".

Other signal values are generally used for other reasons, often for
debugging programs during writing, or custom actions (there are a couple
of SIGUSR signals also)

If you using any other than 'kill' or 'kill -1' you really do need to
be sure about what you're doing. As Jan says, it can leave all sorts of
garbage lying around-  & not just in memory.

davidt