[OM] Re: Off to the races

Subject: [OM] Re: Off to the races
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:14:38 -0500
Moose wrote:
> Walt Wayman wrote:
>> Well, hell, I forgot the link.
>>
>> http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1175.jpg
>>
> Ahh, now I see what you are talking about. Earplugs might indeed be
> optional there. Anyone who gets anywhere near an F1 race, let alone
> alone the track, without hearing protection might as well start
> practicing lip reading.
>
> How can anything that small be that loud? :-)

When you wind one of those F1 motors up to 12-13k rpm, something's bound
to make noise...

I remember one year I was up at Bratwurst Hills, probably '89, during
the time that Cheby had a Corvette GTP car.  TWR was running the
naturally-aspirated V12 XJR's, Porsche had the turbo boxer 6, and Nissan
was just starting with the Big Blue Monster 300ZZX GTP.  All those cars
would come screaming around the track, and then the Vette would come by
with this deep, gutteral big-block V8 rumble that would thump you in the
chest.  Quite humourous, actually.

What I'd really like to hear are some of the old-school Unlimited Can-Am
cars.  Saw some Can-Am at Bratwurst Hills  one year during a vintage
weekend, but the really "out there" stuff wasn't running. I did get to
see and hear a number of GT40's on the hoof.  Ahhhhh.....

What was funny (and sad) was that they were running GTP cars at a
Vintage weekend.  I'm not that old, dammit!!

I saw several Porsche 962's running, which I had seen under actual race
conditions back in the IMSA days.  I knew what they should sound like at
full song, knew the bark of the wastegates, knew WHERE those gates
should be barking.

That was where you could tell the drivers who were RACING and those who
were driving fast, but were afraid of hurting something.  I mean, it's
not like spares for those cars are hard to find - Porsche made a whole
bunch of 'em. RACE the dang things!!!

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon