[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:36:08 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> You said:
>> Microsoft grudgingly made the FAT specs public only after everyone
>> had
>> already reverse-engineered it. They certainly HAVE NOT made public
>> their techniques for recovering when it is corrupted!
>>
>> Apple is attempting to deal with someone else's proprietary stuff
>> here.
>
> Your statement was simply wrong...

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

As a software developer of many years, I know that having a
specification for how something is supposed to work is not the same
for what to do when it misbehaves.

For example, if Microsoft says a certain field is supposed to be a
(nominally shortish) string terminated by NULL, and it is actually
two million bytes before a NULL is hit, they may have some
proprietary way of dealing with it, whereas someone writing to the
spec simply has to read all two million characters.

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality: http://
www.EcoReality.org ::::
:::: 160 Sharp Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2P6, Canada,
250.537.2024 ::::