[OM] Re: Now for some totally different photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Now for some totally different photography
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:41:18 +1000
The essence of Kuhn's argument is that this does not happen until the
anomalies pile up to the point where they fall under any reasonable
challenge. New young scientists are actually inducted into the
conventional wisdom and had better go along with it or they don't get
a job or a research grant. In fact it's more likely to be an
established academic with tenure and a reputation who is going to
rock the boat. Hawking can afford to cyhange his mind. Aging
paradigms are often (not always) defended to the death by the
establishment, beyond all point of reason.
What you seem to be describing is the way in which scientists 'think'
that they work. :-)
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx