[OM] Re: ( OM) OT Momentary or momentarily

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) OT Momentary or momentarily
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 23:30:29 +1000
That's why you need the big dictionary mate. According to my big two-
volume OED (can't afford the 26 vol.) 'momentarily' is the almost
unpronounceable abverb derived from momentary and clearly means 'for
a moment' - first recorded 1654. Thus using it for 'in a moment' is
etymologically absurd. And just damn pretentious anyway.
This discussion has developed a little momentum.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx