[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 23:57:22 -0700
> From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... I
> _could_ run 100% biodiesel... But, frankly, I'm not sure I
> want to.

Studies of both rape methyl esters and soy methyl esters show minor
long-term effects of biodiesel -- and most of them are positive!
Biodiesel is a better lubricant and has a higher flash point, leading
to less cylinder ring land and injector coking.

The consensus is that the *only* problem is that biodiesel attacks
natural rubber and certain synthetics. This tends to happen
gradually, but eventually, fuel lines and other rubber components get
"spongy" and then eventually leak.

This is only true of engines manufactured before 1996, however.
That's the year that the EU *required* that engines be compatible
with biodiesel. Although such a requirement does not yet exist in
North America, the fact is that the manufacturers find it easier to
make one engine that is compliant with EU standards than to make a
separate one to sell in North America.

But I hear you if you don't want to take any chances. I'm a lot more
tolerant of things like clogged fuel filters than most people are!

:::: Someone budgeted a "$40,000 rainwater catchment system" -- we
call that a "roof" where I come from! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::