[OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?

Subject: [OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 00:01:22 -0700
> From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>
> Any recommendations on internal  hard
> drives that are more or less bullet proof?

I'm real fond of Seagate's 750GB drives. They use multi-layer
recording to get such density, and therefore achieve better speed, as
well. Their 7200rpm drives benchmark as fast as 10,000 rpm drives!

But of course, this is "bleeding edge" and only after a design has
been in the field for 50,000 hours will we really be able to say how
"bullet proof" it is. So if that's your outstanding criteria, go for
something under 80GB, which is pretty mature bit density these days.

:::: Continued casualty accumulation exhibits potential to jeopardize
mission success. -- Major General Richard Zilmer ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, Bytesmiths <http://www.Bytesmiths.com> ::::