[OM] Re: If you think all bits are created equal for image storage, you

Subject: [OM] Re: If you think all bits are created equal for image storage, you need to read this, even though it is long. [was RAW Bit Depth]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:52:23 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> On 08/04/2007, at 2:10 PM, Moose wrote:
>> You are drawing a parallel that is not necessarily accurate, and almost
>> certainly not accurate in this case. To explain why, I need to talk
>> about a few things.
>>

> SNIP
>
> aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!
> Can you post the 'dummies' version?

That was the dummies version. I don't know enough to write the techie
version.

If you think it makes your head hurt to contemplate reading it, what do
you think it did to my head thinking it through and writing it?

storing the data to store losslessly something over 9 stops of
brightness/tonal data with 24 steps of brightness in each stop in 8
bits. This is different than the 8 bit storage method used in JPEG, TIFF
and some other methods, which can't hold such a wide range. The DNG
format Leica uses supports this technique. I know absolutely knothing
about what Leica is actually doing.

Moose