[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Andrew Wiese <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 05:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

In addition to what Moose wrote (part II of which is fundamentally important
stuff for really understanding digital, in my view), two things come to my
mind, one, TIFF generally takes up more space than RAW, even using the
lossless compression I'm familiar with; and two, even maximum quality JPEG
loses something, and even if it makes practically no difference, it makes me
uncomfortable to shoot something and not be sure I can pull everything out
of the capture that's there.

I'm rarely really happy with the jpegs out of my 5D, and never consistently
so, even though I've fiddled with the Style settings ad nauseum.  I use
Small/Normal jpegs as previews in my workflow, and am much happier with RAW
for the real thing.  I'm still pretty new to digital capture, though, so I'm
happy to hear other ideas.

A.