[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:00:28 -0700
Andrew Wiese wrote:
> I spent time trying to make this happen, but there's no way I can spend the
> time on contrast, white balance and whatever else individual shots may
> require that the the 5D doesn't deliver, as each shot might need a different
> Styles setting, and I'm not going to flick between those all the time.
> Particularly the AWB doesn't work all that well, and I can't imagine
> following a subject from shade to sunlight to indoors worrying about nailing
> the white balance every time; exposure and focus are enough to worry about.
> Not that that bothers me much - film never had AWB.
>
> Anyway, I maintain that I'm all right, but my camera ain't that good ;-)
I think almost the only people doing what Chuck talks about are studio
and event shooters who have complete or considerable control over lighting.

If shooting and printing hundreds of studio portraits or event shots
with flash and/or known lighting, setting WB once and shooting JPEGs to
go straight to printing makes a lot of sense.

I tried a few JPEGs when I first got the 300D and a couple when I got
the 5D, but none since. I generally shoot outdoors and leave the WB on
Day/Sunlight That means shots in different light will have the quality
of that light, which is generally what I want. When in doubt, pull out
the WhiBal. I seldom need to change color temp in RAW processing. I have
to admit I've never changed a single in-camera image parameter setting
from default.

I do often change EV compensation based on the histograms. Fortunately,
C has made that exceptionally easy.