[OM] Re: If you think all bits are created equal for image storage, you

Subject: [OM] Re: If you think all bits are created equal for image storage, you need to read this, even though it is long. [was RAW Bit Depth]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:57:13 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I don't think anyone else does either which is resulting in some bad
> word of mouth for them.
Yes, it's interesting how us terminally overeducated children of the
Enlightenment will believe theory and argument over the evidence of our
own senses.

There are sample M8 images out there, if I were contemplating buying one
and concerned about the "8-bit issue", I'd get hold of some RAW M8
images and check them out. Or go to a dealer with my own lenses and
memory card in hand.

Of course, a company with any marketing savvy would be trumpeting their
superior, innovative technology that allows lossless , high range images
with faster write times and lower storage requirements in a public
format. Even though at least N and C have already probably been doing
the same thing in their proprietary RAW formats for some time. Marketing
is perception.

Moose