[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:08:35 -0700
Mike wrote:
> So as a practical rule, should I first convert the out-of-camera jpg to
> a psd or tif
You needn't convert it to any format, simply to 16-bit.

An image file in an editor lives in memory, independent of the source
storage format. When you read a JPEG into PS, for example, although the
header on the window says JPG, that's just a reminder of where it came
from and where it will go by default if you save it with CTRL-S, if
whatever you have done to it will fit in a JPEG. However, it is not, in
fact JPEG anymore in memory, it has been uncompressed and there is a
separate value set of color values for each pixel in memory.

You may convert its bit depth in memory. play with it as you wish. Then
it is up to you how you write it back out to disk. That's when it
becomes a specific format again.

I personally save the modified file, often with more than one layer, as
a PSD. but that isn't necessary if you never intend to edit further,
only print and/or web display. I also keep any modified JPEG separate
from the original.

> and as A. Alces says, convert to 16 bit before editing?

Careful, that Wizard of Pedantry from Oz will correct you - A. alces.

Moose