[OM] Re: In body IS, was: On Fred Miranda..

Subject: [OM] Re: In body IS, was: On Fred Miranda..
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 01:28:45 -0400

Date: Mon April 9 2007 12:10 am
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I haven't seen any discussion of its significance yet but the K10D does
> have a unique ability in the anti-shake mechanism in that it also handles
> rotation about the optical axis as well as camera motion in the normal x/y
> plane.  I don't believe there is any way for an optical IS system to do
> that or to do it easily, at least.
>
> Anybody seen any technical discussion of its actual merits?

Sounds like a tricky thing to devise a test for.

Moose

Off the cuff I envision a target that has radially oriented line pairs.
Testing would involve aligning the optical center of camera and trying to
measure the difference this kind of IS makes.   Dealing with rotations
depends on where the axes of rotation are relative to the sensor. On a guess
unless  the center of mass was along the optical axis an x/y adjustment would
take care of it. Moving the sensor wouldn't take care of rotations about the
horizontal or vertical axis. The way I see It comes down to marketing. Other
than marketing I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make a bracket
mount that would stabilize the camera through holding the camera steady. It
would work on any camera. I believe video is/can be done that way.