[OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:55:41 +0930
Last Tuesday I asked for some information about setting up a 6V
power supply for T28 twin flash modelling lights. I was looking
for information about current draw etc to figure out requirements
for a supply, and also some feedback on usefulness / availability
of the AC Adapter 3. I was looking mostly for a mains powered source,
as this in the first instance is for a static setup inside.

I'd like to thanks everyone who contributed information and ideas.
The discussion was very helpful. And as usual brought forward
things I hadn't thought of!

At the moment, I have an inexpensive temporary solution. I've made use
of a couple of 6V lantern batteries (big ones) that we have for our
camping torch (flashlight) -- the one that spots threatening koalas
at 500 metres. I bought a few DC power connectors, wire and alligator
clips from Dick Smith (local Radio Shack equivalent) and made up some cables.

This works. Put it together and tried it out on Saturday. Here are some
pics from the first session (4Ti; 50/3.5; APX100 in Rodinal 1:50):

http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/andrew/photos/T28/1.jpg
http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/andrew/photos/T28/2.jpg
http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/andrew/photos/T28/3.jpg

All with twin flash (pointed downwards and reflected back from white paper
for the second).

Next will be to try smaller subjects needing some extension, as well as
diffusion and ND covers over the flash.

Now I'll work out what to do for the mains powered source. If I can find
enough other uses for a larger DC supply, may get one (eg the light box
needs one amp which we can't handle at the moment).

Most likely I'll either get a suitable switchmode supply, or wire up an
AC transformer.

One thing I've learnt from using it for a few hours is to wire in a couple
of external switches. Those on the flash heads are very fiddly, and can disturb
the setup using them.

Thanks again,
   Andrew