[OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:39:17 +0200
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:55:41 +0930, Andrew wrote:

>Last Tuesday I asked for some information about setting up a 6V
>power supply for T28 twin flash modelling lights. I was looking
>for information about current draw etc to figure out requirements
>for a supply, and also some feedback on usefulness / availability
>of the AC Adapter 3. I was looking mostly for a mains powered source,
>as this in the first instance is for a static setup inside.

Today I was cleaning out some old stuff, among which two old
computers. It made me think of something I had forgotten earlier.
What could be a _very_ cheap solution for your problem is to use an
old computer power supply. Many people have them lying around or
simply throw them out with their redundant old computers - just like I
am doing today... Those supplies have 5 volt DC lines designed for
giving many Ampères. The older ones will work straight away. The newer
ones might not do the trick until you also power something from the 12
V line (somthing to do with load balance, I was told).

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.